FREE DELIVERY FOR ALL ORDERS OVER £50 (Excluding Bumblebee Colony Orders)
*Orders will be shipped out as the weather becomes suitable for effective application from mid to late April*
Viburnum beetles (Pyrrhalta viburni) will damage and defoliate a wide range of Viburnum plant species. Most of the damage, however, is caused by the Viburnum larvae. The larvae are creamy yellow with black markings, around 8mm long, and will quickly shred leaves of Viburnums. The damaged leaves will become discoloured with brown edges forming. Infested Viburnum plants can also produce an unpleasant odour when the foliage is wet.
Naturally and safely control your Viburnum Beetle infestation with our Viburnum Beetle Killer nematodes, which are deadly to the Viburnum Beetle larvae but safe to humans and wildlife. Dragonfli Viburnum Beetle Killer contains Steinernema carpocapsae nematodes. These nematodes enter the larvae via a natural opening, like the mouth, and feed on the contents of the larvae. A natural bacterium is produced by the nematodes inside the larvae, which kills it. Infected larvae will be completely broken down by the nematodes. The nematodes also reproduce inside the larvae, releasing more nematodes into the surrounding area.
The larvae are normally active and present between April to June. This is the best period in which to apply Viburnum Killer Nematodes, which should be sprayed directly onto the Viburnum Beetle larvae.
The Viburnum Beetle Killer Nematodes are supplied as either:
- 1 x 25 Million nematodes to treat up to 35m2 of Viburnum shrubs.
- 2 x 25 million nematodes to treat up to 70m2 of Viburnum shrubs.
Choose a humid or wet day to apply your Viburnum Beetle Killer Nematodes. Nematodes are UV-sensitive and will not survive long when exposed to bright, sunny conditions. Apply the nematodes early in the morning or early in the evening in order to utilise the optimum humidity levels. Avoid application in frosty conditions.
1. Ensure Viburnum Beetle larvae are present on the plants. Then first, open and empty the contents of your 25 million sachet of nematodes into a bucket or container of 2.5 litres of water and mix thoroughly.
2. Next, fill your sprayer (hand held sprayers should suffice, with filters removed, or use our Nema Super Sprayer for optimum nematode application) with the mixed 2.5 litres of nematode concentrate and add another 5.5 litres of water so you are left with 8 litres of nematode solution.
3. Finally, apply and spray the Viburnum Beetle Killer solution directly onto the Viburnum Beetle larvae on the infected plants.
Repeat these instructions for an introduction of a second nematode sachet application 7 days after the first application.
Repeat applications may be required for severe applications.
Full application instructions are provided on delivery.
You can store unopened nematode packs in a fridge but it is best to ensure you apply your nematodes as soon as possible for the best results.